Go Abroad China - Volunteer in Beijing - Overview
We know that one of the best ways to get to know locals and make a lasting difference is by giving back to the community. GAC offers some of the most meaningful travel and volunteer abroad experiences to world travelers. GAC is committed to offering affordable, unique, small groups or individual travel and volunteer programs - setting you out on an unforgettable journey to these amazing destinations.GAC assists local children in China with special needs, children with disabilities, autism, or from an orphanage school and poor schools for immigrant worker's children. As an international volunteer with GAC, you're making a positive contribution and providing benefits for the children and the community that will last just as long as the memories they will take away with them. All of our volunteer programs go hand-in-hand with our language courses, homestay or shared apartment accommodation with Chinese, culture activities and guided tours. You'll gain new perspectives and insight into China's culture and yourself. It's an exciting and personally inspiring experience. You'll develop memories that will stay with you forever!
Volunteer in Beijing - Features
GAC offers you volunteering opportunities across China based on your interests and skills. We will help you find a volunteer opportunity by arranging personal visits for you to meet potential organization with whom you can find a volunteer opportunity.
We also facilitate Chinese language classes, culture electives, social activities, networking events and guided tours for you to get an understanding of the environment you will be volunteering in.
Some key features of GAC Volunteering program
- Local safe and comfortable homestay or shared apartment accommodation with Chinese.
- GAC's professional and experienced onsite staff provides 24/7 support and assistance.
- Important documents, including in-depth pre-departure packs, orientation information, all in-country informational materials and volunteer program certificate.
- International phone call service.
- GAC All-inclusive Service Pack, including airport pickup and drop-off, orientation, welcome pack, accommodation, visa support. documents, culture electives, guided tours, and more.
- Donations to orphanage school, school for immigrant worker's children and other charity institutions.
Volunteer in Beijing - Projects
GAC offers worthwhile projects that focus on matching the interests, skills, and experiences of volunteers with their volunteer work.
Orphanage SchoolVolunteers are needed to provide care for the disadvantaged children. Volunteer’s role is to make the children’s lives at the orphanage more enjoyable and lend a helping hand to the staff. Besides assisting the staff in the daily chores, volunteers give love and individual attention to each child.
Disabled ChildrenThis charity is a local, unique, community-based charity serving the mentally disabled. It is truly a community based organized, breaking away from traditional institutional care. The vision is equal opportunity for the mentally disabled to aid in their contribution to the community and sharing of benefits. Activities are aimed at facilitating trainee’s independence within the local community and improving their life skills. Daily activities include arts and crafts, music class, athletics, and life skills.
School for Poor ChildrenThis is a primary school for children of poor families from other provinces in China who are working in Beijing. The school is a not-profit and not-government school that receives no financial support from the government. Therefore the school's facilities are very basic. Many immigrants parents can't afford expensive tuition fee for their children at the government school. The school runs on very limited resources so they need a lot of help. Our volunteer have done a great job at this school giving the students English education which is very much needed as the school has no financial means to employ good English teachers.
Volunteer in Beijing
What is included in the program fee?
- ACCOMMODATION:Go Abroad China housing offers you the no-hassle option of a secure place to live from the moment you arrive, allowing you to focus on your studies or work. Click here for details.
- VOLUNTEER PLACEMENT: Go Abroad China find and secure your dream Volunteer placement.
- CHINESE CLASSES: You will be provided with 6 hours of Chinese Lessons per week in a small group with our Professional Chinese teachers.
- VISA DOCUMENTATION: When enrollment is completed, participants are given the necessary visa support documents needed to apply for a visa to enter the People's Republic of China.
- PRE-DEPARTURE ASSISTANCE: Prior to your arrival in China, GAC offers professional and reliable information and assistance to help you resolve any inquiries or concerns you may have regarding your program and life in China.
- WELCOME PACK: Includes local mobile phone, transportation card, city map, and other orientation materials. Click here for details.
- FUN ACTIVITIES: Go Abroad China regular weekend activities provide you the opportunity to learn more about Chinese language and culture. Click here for details.
- TRANSPORTATION: Airport pickup & drop-off (9Am - 9Pm, Beijing Time).
- ORIENTATION UPON ARRIVAL: Local orientation materials including city map, emergency card, and welcome dinner.
- 24/7 STAFF ASSISTANCE: Should any problems arise at any time during the program, Go Abroad China staff members will be available on call at anytime day or night.
- CERTIFICATE UPON COMPLETION
How many students participate in the program each summer?
Each session consists of approximately 50 students.
What are the ages of the students?
The majority of our students are high school and college students. The average age ranges from 15 to 28 years old.
I don't know any Chinese. Can I still join?
Many of our students are just learning Chinese and traveling to China for the first time. We look for students who are interested and curious about the language and culture.
China is a very safe country with low crime rates.
Does the program offer any travel or medical insurance?
We require all students to have travel and medical insurance while in China. If the student already has an insurance policy in place, please make sure the coverage is applicable in China. We can recommend an insurance provider for the student but the terms and costs of the insurance should be addressed directly to the insurance company.
How much money should I bring?
Many students buy souvenirs and gifts in China so the amount of money to bring can vary. Traveler’s checks and cash can easily be exchanged at most Chinese banks. Our program is all-inclusive meaning the students' expenses while in China will only be of personal nature.
What should I bring to China?
We always recommend students to travel light. Daily essentials are readily available in China and can be purchased rather inexpensively at any department store. Please remember to take some children used English books and clothes as gifts for the children.
What is the electric voltage used in China?
The voltage is 220 Volts. An electric converter is readily available at most shopping centers.
Do students have any free time in China?
Yes, about 6-7 hours of free time each week will be available to the students to relax and explore the city. Since our program has various activities and classes each day, students rarely would want to miss them or take any time out.